Raccoons may seem like cute and curious creatures, but they can quickly turn into a nuisance if they get into your trash. These animals love to scavenge, eating whatever waste they can find. Fortunately, there are a few ways to outsmart the mischievous critters and keep raccoons out of your garbage.
5 Ways to Keep Raccoons Out of Your Garbage
- Lock Your Lids –Raccoons are dexterous, and a lid alone may not be enough to keep them from accessing your trash. The tighter the lid is on your trash can, the more difficult it will be for the raccoon to pry it off. Storing your trash can in a shed also protects it against raccoons. Locks prevent the lid from coming off.
- Scare Them Off –Raccoons don’t like brightly lit areas and loud noises. Motion-sensor lights or floodlights will scare a raccoon away from your trash can. Placing a radio near your trash can at night can also keep raccoons out of your garbage. Sensor-activated sprinklers could also surprise the raccoons and scare them off.
- Change the Smell –Raccoons are attracted to garbage because of its smell. Double-bagging your trash will minimize odors and confuse the raccoons. You can also add unpleasant smells that deter raccoons. Mothballs and ammonia are two scents raccoons don’t like. Sprinkle a small amount of ammonia on top of your garbage, or place some mothballs around your trash can at night to keep the pests at bay.
- Eliminate Water Sources –Raccoons like water sources for drinking and washing their food. Make sure to get rid of any sources of standing water around your trash can. Bring in your pet’s water bowl at night, and empty birdbaths during the day.
- Call a Raccoon Removal Professional –Ultimately, your most effective method to get rid of raccoons is to call a wildlife removal professional. A licensed expert will know how to effectively and humanely remove nuisance raccoons from your property. The sooner you call a professional, the quicker your raccoon problem will be resolved.
Expert Raccoon Removal Services in Orlando
Rely on the professional animal removal experts at Animal Wildlife Trappers for safe and effective raccoon removal services. Our licensed and trained technicians have the equipment and experience to provide you with high-quality animal removal services for any type of invasive species, ensuring they’re removed quickly and permanently.
To schedule an appointment and receive your complimentary estimate, call us today at 352-267-0546.