Odors in the home can be caused by many things—trash, pets, dead animals, mold—the list goes on. No matter the cause, a strong odor in your home should be dealt with immediately. Here are some of the most common causes of household odors and ways, both natural and professional, to remove them.
5 Causes of Household Odors
- Trash – Though it may be obvious, trash is the main source of odors in the home. Quick fixes include regularly taking out your trash, sprinkling baking soda into the bottom of your trash can, and cleaning the trash can frequently with warm, soapy water. To prevent smells, you can also put lemon or orange peels in the bottom of the can before inserting a trash bag.
- Mold – Mold is one of the most common sources of odors in homes and typically has a musty smell. It grows in damp areas such as basements, kitchens, and bathrooms. It can be toxic and cause respiratory issues. To remove mold, you must remove or reduce the moisture first, and then clean the mold that has already grown. If you have musty-smelling cabinets or furniture, but no mold is present, try crinkling up newspaper, adding distilled white vinegar to it, and letting it set for a few days. This will absorb the odor. Afterward, you can keep dryer sheets in the drawers or between cushions to keep them smelling fresh.
- Refrigerator Odors – If you smell a fish-like smell coming from your fridge, you may be due for a deep clean. Remove all food items and clean out all the shelves and drawers. Then scrub the fridge interior with a mixture of warm water and baking soda. Leaving an open box of baking soda in the fridge can help prevent future odors.
- Rotten Dishwasher – A stench from your dishwasher is likely caused by bacteria build-up or leftover food particles. First make sure to remove and rinse your dishwasher filter, then pour two cups of white vinegar directly into the machine. Then run the dishwasher on a hot water cycle and pause halfway so the detergent residue can be broken down.
- Decaying Animals – The smell of a dead rodent or other invasive pest trapped in your walls or attic can engulf your home in an overpowering stench. This odor can be the most pungent out of all the smells and needs to be removed urgently when it occurs. The best way to combat such foul and toxic odors is to contact the animal removal experts at Animal Wildlife Trappers to locate and remove the dead animal from your property and apply an Ozone and UVC treatment to eliminate its lingering smell.
Fast and Effective Odor Removal Services
Rely on the professional animal and odor removal experts at Animal Wildlife Trappers for safe and effective wild animal smell removal services. From bats to rats and everything in between, our licensed and trained technicians have the equipment and experience to provide you with high-quality animal and animal odor removal services that ensure any wildlife-related nuisance is removed from your property completely and permanently.
To schedule an appointment and receive a free animal odor removal estimate, call us today at 352-267-0546.