Mothballs have long been recommended as a good remedy to keep squirrels away from properties. However, the natural pest repellent only works to temporarily keep squirrels at bay and can actually be dangerous to the health of your family and pets if used carelessly or improperly. Here are some of the dangers of using mothballs to get rid of squirrels.
Dangers of Using Mothballs to Get Rid of Squirrels
Using mothballs to get rid of squirrels on your property is rarely effective. The method is also inhumane and can make your squirrel infestation worse in the following ways.
- Mothballs are very harmful to wildlife. Instead of repelling squirrels from your property, you could end up killing them and leaving their carcass to rot and decompose in your walls or attic.
- Mothballs commonly contain fumigant chemicals naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. Health effects associated with naphthalene include headache, nausea, dizziness, and difficulty breathing. Paradichlorobenzene has the same side effects, although typically to a lesser degree than naphthalene.
- Mothballs also contain pesticides that could seep into your food or water supply if placed in the kitchen pantry or cupboards.
- Curious pets or children can accidentally be poisoned by consuming chemically-soaked mothballs.
- Mothballs can emit noxious odors that can be overwhelming if placed in your attic or poorly ventilated areas throughout your home.
Instead of relying on ineffective remedies such as mothballs to get rid of squirrels, keep your family and pets safe by contacting Animal Wildlife Trappers to inspect your home and humanely get rid of the squirrel infestation on your property.
Professional Squirrel Removal Services
The professionals at Animal Wildlife Trappers provide humane squirrel removal services that are safe and efficient. We use a three-step method that includes:
- A thorough inspection and complete removal of nuisance squirrels on your property
- Future intrusion prevention by sealing squirrel entry-points into you home or commercial building
- Sanitization and sterilization services to remove any contamination that was left behind by the pests
Get Rid of Squirrels with Animal Wildlife Trappers
At Animal Wildlife Trappers, our licensed and trained technicians have the knowledge and tools to provide you with high-quality squirrel removal services that will completely resolve your growing rodent problem and ensure the nuisance wildlife will not return.
To schedule an appointment and receive a free estimate for our safe and humane squirrel removal services, call us today at 352-267-0546.